The Oswego Volunteer Fire Protection District began as a village fire department after a fire that destroyed the Congregational Church in Oswego in 1893. On July 17, 1895 the village purchased a hose and hose cart, and by August 28 of the same year, a fire company was formed. A hose house was added to the town council house at 65 Washington Street in June of 1897. In 1898 a bell was placed in a tower atop the house to signal the fireman for a call. This bell stood in front of Station 1 on Main Street in downtown Oswego until the end of 2009 when Station 1 moved into a new facilty on Woolley Road. It now is once again proudly displayed at its new home at 3511 Woolley Road.
Following a devastating fire that destroyed several buildings at a local farm, area farmers decided something had to be done to protect their interests. In 1936, the Oswego Fire Protection District was formed by voter referendum, covering all of Oswego Township and part of Will County. The district now also covers the majority of Na-Au-Say Township and a portion of Bristol Township. Andrew Pierce, Glenn Leigh, James Steward and Wally Davis were appointed the first commissioners.
In 1986 the district began providing full-time advanced life support emergency medical services in addition to the traditional fire suppression services. With the additions of Station 2 in 1998 and Station 3 in 2004, the fire protection district slowly transitioned from a primarily volunteer organization to one that consisted of full-time paramedic firefighters working 24 hour shifts providing protection 365 days a year. Station 4 was manned in 2006, and in June of 2008 the fire protection district shifted from contract paramedic firefighters to a full time department with the swearing-in of 54 district-employed paramedic firefighters. Although no longer used to cover every call, the volunteer program is still in existance in 2010 and is relied on for manpower and experience during heavy volume times as well all general alarms within the district.